Sider

September 03, 2013

eating dinner....

one of our favorites, lasagna (with lots of veggies and salad on the side)


in the "middag" post over at "jeg er jonathan" Vigdis answers to a question on whether or not they adjust their dinnerplan for children... others replied to the post as well, and based on both their answers and experience from friends of mine with children, it is my impression that many families today prioritise to eat the same dinner... some with modifications and others without. they each find the key to how this works out the best for them... some cook primarily children friendly dishes, or at least dishes they know are accepted, others modify the seasoning or avoid certain ingredients, others again include the children in the desicion and planning of what is for dinner... and I'm sure there are many more ways out there. all with the purpose to eat a nice dinner together and have a good time...

this took me back to when I was a little girl... my parents weren't different from a lot of other parents at the time, we are talking the mid eighties, so it has been a while, but still... having dinner at my house would mean everybody eating together (no exception), eating what was served (i.e. taste and not liking it, wasn't really an option, neither was influencing the desicion on what we were having, unless I was helping cooking), finishing your plate (or at least a reasonable part of what was on there), not leaving the table before everyboy were done (I remember a few exceptions, but they really were the exceptions) and finally an overall focus on table manners... and I wonder how this framework for having dinner has changed...? I, for one, have given this quite a bit of thought*... of course I want our children to have good table manners, but what are good table manners to me (here you have probaly guessed they have changed a bit from the ones I experienced myself, guess I'm going for a bit more hippie happy version)? and what are good table manners today? an example of good table manners in my book is, among others, a child who tastes unknown food and then decides...

*a part of the story is that our oldest son was born with a serious stomach issue, and on top of having gone through a problematic first year, due to this, he is/was at risk of developing a troublesome relationship to foods/eating. fortunately he is now doing fine, crossing our fingers that everything continues this way...

No comments:

Post a Comment